Bloggerati

Blogbursts. RSS. Blog Swarms on the look out for prey. Scripted blog activites, seemingly spontaneous. Ghost written blogs. People hired and fired because of blogs. Syndications. THE DEAR DIARY DAYS of blogging have gone forever. Enter the Big Wave. The Hype.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Blogging for Memory and Community

Having a large following, is a blogger's penultimate goal according to Mainstream Media. (The ultimate goal would be cashing in on a large follwing.) While I like the idea of cashing in on something (am I Polyannna? Blogging is buzzing !!!) having a so called following which expects me to post for them, is filling me with dread.

Blogging in my view is a tool to cope with information overload. Information which moves me to blog about seems relevant, note-worthy. That's a filtering criteria right there. The moment I post about some news, my own thoughts, another blogger's post, a tool, a method, it receives some surrounding con-text, which helps me to log it in my memory (internal linking) but also provides a sur-face, an inter-face to weave it together with other information - in my own blog or in other's (external linking). Linking to content in my own blog creates a local neural network, linking to others' ties my microcontent into the global neural network. Linear information gathering is hence obsolete - since it has become impossible.

Mary Hodder put it succinctly:

For many bloggers the relevant sphere of influence is not overall popularity, as those indexes [technorati, Google, GS] express. It's influence and connection within a community. And the relevant measure of connection isn't the number of connections -- it's the depth and impact of those connections. This is about celebrating the niche, and measuring engagement over time.

Gisela Strauss
Germany

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home